About the Race
It is a Team of 2 event and the route will be a combination of single and jeep track with some really cool beach traverses over all 3 days. Our intention is to showcase the Wild Coast and create great memories whilst also affording riders the opportunity to chill out on the beach. Daily distances will not exceed 50km and elevation will be kept under 850m per day.
The local community are hard at work on the existing walking paths to make them MTB friendly. The local residents use these tracks to fetch water so expect great river crossings and epic downhill forest sections.
We have tailor-made packages that will suit everyone’s pocket with the pricing being dependent on the accommodation options you choose. All accommodation is twin-room sharing. The Gold package hotels are all in close proximity, the furthest away being the Hole-in-the-Wall Hotel (only 9km away). The campsite is secure with an in house restaurant , great ablutions and a stones throw from the beach,
Registration is at Ocean View Hotel, on Thursday 29 October, from 14:00 – 19:00.
Riders within a Team must register together
No late registrations will be allowed unless through prior arrangement with organisers
Pre Race Briefing will be at Ocean View Hotel, on Thursday 29 October, from 19:00 20:00. Attendance is essentail as vital information will be communicated
Each evening after Dinner, we do a quick Prize Giving for the day and a Briefing for the next day’s ride.
What you need to do:
- Before Registration Day – review race documents including Participant Waiver
- ICE your phone – in case we need to get hold of your emergency contacts
What you need to bring:
- A photo identification document (driver’s licence, passport or ID book)
- A valid UCI or CSA licence. If you don’t have one, day licences can be purchased at registration for R35 per day (R105 for the whole event)
What to pack for the ride:
- A mobile phone, fully charged and loaded with all the emergency numbers supplied at registration – and your charger (charging stations will be available)
- 3 sets of cycling clothing (ensure you invest in some good quality cycling shorts)
- A minimum of 2litres fluid to be carried by each rider
- A basic First Aid kit including Sunblock (min SPF20); Cramp block tablets; Electrolyte satchets
- Bike Repair tools: spare tubes; multi tool; replacement derailleur hanger; infation device (pump etc);
- Snacks – supplements, energy bars, etc.
- Riders will be supplied with Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner every day. Lunch is served informally, whilst Breakfast & Dinner are more formal
- Breakfast : 06:00 – 07:15
- Lunch : 12:00 – 15:00
- Dinner : 18:00 – 19:00
- If you have any specific dietary requirements (vegetarian, vegan, allergies etc) – please let us know, we’ll happily accommodate
There will be 1 or 2 Waterpoints each day. These points will supply energy drinks, cold water, coke and snacks. Please check the route section for exact distances between waterpoints.
Nutritech will supply FREE Endurade sport drinks & Endurade Recovery milks in the Red Cherry Chill Zone in Race Village.
All alcoholic and soft drinks will be on sale from the Hotel Bar.
Organisers will also supply single source water for waterpoints and consumption during each stage. All tap water in the race village is perfectly safe for drinking.
East Cape Medical Response will be on hand to provide full medical service both en route and in the Race Village. Basic medical services are free, but recurring injuries or treatment of pre-existing chronic conditions will incur a charge. Please carry your Medical Aid / Insurance details in case of hospitalization.
Please ensure that your bring your personal medications as prescribed by your physician. Also, remember to bring sunblock with a minimum SPF 20.
General Mountain Biking:
As much as the organisers try to position a race of this magnitude as fun and adventurous, there remains a need for rules. These rules are mainly created for your own safety and enjoyment.
The ride-of-way principal applies to single track and any challenging sections.
Ride-of-Way – this is a very simple concept that should apply to all fair mountain bikers all over the planet:
- If you are walking on a section because it is too technical or you are too tired you must give way to those riding.
- If you are behind a slower rider – ask nicely to pass but don’t make them panic and fall. We are all here for a good time. Keep it nice and chilled and nobody will get hurt.
- If you are a man and she is a woman, try not to be too bitter about the fact that you are being beaten but pull off the side of the road and wish her well.
- Give Way – if there is a faster rider behind you try to find a safe place to let him or her pass you.
- If you are behind someone pushing simply ask for ride of way.
Riders wanting to cancel need to do so IN WRITING by 15 May 2020 to receive an full refund, otherwise the following applies:
- 75% of entry fee will be refunded if written notice is received before 15 July 2020.
- 50% of the entry fee will be refunded if written notice is received before 31 August 2020.
- 0% will be refunded if written notice is received after 1 September 2020.
- No refunds available on extras booked.
The Transkei Trek will take place regardless of weather, and will only be cancelled, re-routed or stopped for safety reasons. In this event, entry fees are not refundable.